Recently Mr. Azam Khan Swati has sworn in as a Minister for Science and Technology. He belong to JUI-F of Maulana Fazlur Rehman. Initially I was amazed that an important ministry like S&T is given to somebody from JUI-F, however, going through his profile, I have a feeling that Mr. Swati is actually over-qualified for the position and he should contest for the post of Prime Minister.
As per his profile at Senate of Pakistan’s official website. Mr. Muhammad Azam Khan Swati has various degrees, including, M.A. Economics, M.A. Political Science, LL.B (Gold Medalist), LL.M (International Law from University of Houston (Texas-USA), Doctor of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law (Texas U.S.A), Attorney-at-Law (State of Texas).
Ex-Nazim of district Mansehra, Azam Khan Swati was elected senator for the tenure of 2006 – 2012.
He is one of the richest parliamanterian in the history of Pakistan. His declared assets are:
- Rs25m Abbottabad house;
- Rs0.45m another Abbottabad house;
- 10 plots worth Rs12m in Bahria Town;
- Rs13 million of worth 8 plots in Top City;
- Rs11m four plots;
- total current assets US$4.8m including personal banks accounts, note receivable etc;
- US$15m worth fixed assets including real estate, 46% equity in Swati Enterprises and 100% equity in Swati Investment co.;
- other assets worth US$0.59m include household furniture, jewellery etc.
- His liabilities are US$5.2m.
Worth of Azam Khan Swati’s total assets comes to US$20.5m (about Rs1.6 billion).
Nobody should be amazed why JUI-F with all of its anti-US agenda has taken in and gave Senate ticket to somebody who has been taken US as second home and seems to be of some influence there.