I had heard before that prize bond draws were manipulated, but there was no way of proving this. But in the Rs. 15000 prize bond draw (no. 45) held in Peshawar on 3rd January 2011, there is circumstantial evidence that this is indeed true. In that draw, three consecutive numbers (018845, 018846 & 018847) won […]
About Shakir Lakhani
Author Archive | Shakir Lakhani
The good God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes it seems that those who steal and plunder have the best things in life. They believe that they are being favored by God, and nothing stops them from continuing their looting. Smugglers and those who sell stolen and smuggled goods, for instance, think there’s nothing wrong in […]
According to the recent WikiLeaks data, Pakistan’s President Asif Ali Zardari want his sister to succeed him. I once heard that all that Zardari eats is first tested by his sister Faryal Talpur (apparently she either herself eats or makes others eat part of his meals before he is served). I can think of ten […]
The prime minister (Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani) said his government is not corrupt. And the very next day, Transparency International announced that Pakistan has jumped to place no. 34 from 42 in the list of corrupt nations. I wonder why it happens that whenever this government announces something, the opposite happens. Immediately after PEPCO announced […]
I’m against capital punishment (because innocent people are often hanged on fabricated evidence), but when I read about this 34-year old homosexual Saudi prince raping, torturing and killing his black servant, I wished he’d be sentenced to death. But since the death penalty has been abolished in the UK (as well as the EU), the […]
It’s been a long time (more than ten years) since I visited the Lyari area of Karachi, although I used to pass through it daily right up to 1998. In the last decade, gangsters have taken over the district and almost every day gang wars take place in which people are killed. But then, I […]
The so-called “historic” verdict by the judges of the Allahabad High Court in India has been welcomed by rabid Hindu fanatics because they now feel they can go ahead and demolish all the remaining mosques in India. Instead of recognizing that Muslims were the owners of the land on which the Babri Masjid had stood […]
With the Commonwealth Games in Delhi fast approaching, foreigners should know how to use Indian toilets (assuming they can find a few). First thing to remember is that Indians don’t use paper at all to clean themselves after defecating. The second thing is that they use their left hands to wash, so it’s OK to […]
For some reason, a cleric in Qasim Masjid in Peshawar has been able to collect about twenty men (having remarkably good eyesight) who claim they saw the moon, when it wasn’t there. This has been going on for over fifty years. I was in Peshawar in 1973, and saw Eid-al-Azha being observed on two days […]
As if the world wasn’t already threatened by global warming, floods and earthquakes, a new enemy has appeared on the horizon. The superbug known as New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-1 (NDM-1). This virus is resistant to even the most powerful antibiotics known, the class of antibiotics known as Carbapenems which are reserved for use when all other […]
- Karim Mombani: Believe me this news is a hoax and is still prevai...
- rani pari: Ya I have also seen a horror house in wah cantt .....
- marem: wash with manzil 7 times water, drink 1 glass befo...
- Hassan: I know right? That's exactly what was going in mi...
- aamir: Salam mje hamzad k bary me mukamal malomat chahiye...
- Solomon: Damn man. That was savage. Impressed....
- Zeeshan: I didn't believe in any such thing but then there...
- Sarmad osmany: My name is sarmad it means the ever living and li...
- All Children Killed In Peshawar School Attack Were Boys: Why Media not telling this? January 21, 2015
- The Underlying Agenda Of Feminists And What Feminism Truly Stands For October 19, 2014
- How MQM destroyed Karachi and the Urdu Speaking Mohajirs June 8, 2014
- 15 Reasons Why Gender Equality Does Not Exist April 18, 2015
- Top 10 Signs Of Having An Abusive Wife February 23, 2015
- Gender Pay Gap Is Non-Existent And The Myth Should Be Dispelled August 28, 2014
- Dowry Deaths Of Men Far Exceed Those Of Women – Why Is The Indian Media Silent? December 30, 2014
- Open Letter To Malala Yousufzai August 13, 2014
- Ideas2016: Annual International Defence Exhibition And Seminar at Karachi Expo Center November 21, 2016
- Karachi crumbles as the rain pours August 6, 2016
- Evolution of Fashion in Pakistan April 30, 2016
- How to beat the heatwave: Save yourself and others from effects of heatstroke April 22, 2016
- Best Online Shopping Stores in Lahore March 19, 2016
- Decay of the Educational System February 25, 2016
- Pakistan Airways registered as PIA selloff becomes imminent February 21, 2016
- A year after Army Public School Peshawar Massacre December 17, 2015